We’ve decided to rename our hotel and B & B reviews The Light Sleeper to flag up the fact that they’re written from the perspective of someone who might find it hard to get a good night’s sleep away from home. This week it’s the Great John Street hotel in Manchester.
The hotel: Former Victorian school-house next to what used to be the Granada studios. Now an atmospheric boutique hotel
The room I stayed in: No. 23 – a ‘classical grand’ duplex suite with a sitting room upstairs. At least that was the second room I was allocated. The first I was directed to already had two occupants (fortunately not in bed). Red faces all round.
The bed: Very comfortable king size, double pocket-sprung mattress
Bedding: Crisp white sheets. Good pillows, Very deep mattress topper, possibly a shade too soft and squishy
Noise: Quiet for a city centre hotel though I could hear my neighbours from time to time so it could possibly be noisy if they were rowdy. A faint gurgle from the heating/air-conditioning which I eventually turned off
Light: Shutters let in some light which might be disruptive during the summer. But not a lot.
Bathroom: Unconventionally the roll-top cast-iron bath was in the sitting area upstairs (obviously a pad designed for romantic weekenders.) Good bathroom with large walk-in shower.
Other reasons to stay
* individual decor, not a chain hotel (though part of the Eclectic hotels group)
* within easy walking distance of bars, restaurants and shops
* good breakfast including lavish amounts of smoked salmon (served on toast as had run out of advertised bagels). Poor coffee though.
* 2 tellys – one in the bedroom, one upstairs
* good-sized desk and free fast wifi. Plenty of sitting space
* roof terrace and ‘playground’ with hot tub and sun loungers. Not that I can imagine they’d be much called for in Manchester.
* helpful service despite bedroom howler
* fact that bathroom was up a flight of stairs which could thoroughly wake you up* if you needed to get up to pee in the night. (* Fortunately I got back to sleep OK)
Cost: £108 a night (press rate). Normally from £150 for that class of room. Basic rooms start at £120
Would I go again?:
Yes, though would probably go for a room on a single level. A very comfortable, central base for a work or leisure trip to Manchester.
Great John Street is in Great John Street, Manchester M3 4FD. Tel: 0161 831 3211